The top EPC question is:
I forgot my PIN number/lost my EPC Card. What should I do?
the toll-free Chase Customer Service Center, 1-866-847-8586,
to obtain a new PIN, or to report a lost or stolen card. Service is available from Chase 24 hours/7 days per week. If you need a replacement, a new card will be issued and
any remaining balance will be transferred to the new card. (questions 28-30 below)
on each question to show the answer.
What is the Visa Electronic Payment Card?
- The Visa Electronic Payment Card (EPC) is one option for a safe and secure method for payment of weekly Unemployment Insurance benefits. It can be used to get cash from an ATM or bank. It can also be used to make purchases the same way you would use a debit card. Please see questions and answers below on how to use the card without incurring fees.
- 2. What
are the benefits of using the new Visa Electronic Payment Card?
No waiting for a check to arrive in the mail.
No worries about getting your check cashed or expensive
check cashing fees.
Access your money on the network or by presenting your Visa Electronic Payment Card at point-of-sale or ATM locations.
To find all ATM locations nearest to you, click here and then enter your zip code.
Safe, fast, and convenient access to your money without incurring any fees if used properly.
Chase Customer Service toll-free number (1-866-847-8586)
is available to answer your questions and obtain your account
balance 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Chase will send you monthly statements to help you track
your transactions and know your balance.
I have a choice how I receive Unemployment Insurance benefits?
you have a choice of Direct Deposit into your personal Checking
or Savings account or Electronic Payment card. There are very
few differences between DD and EPC. In both cases your Unemployment
Insurance benefit payment is electronically added to your account. Please be sure to use your Electronic Payment Card properly to not incur any fees; otherwise please click here to see the fee schedule.
While collecting Unemployment Insurance benefits can I still
get a check?
RI Department of Labor and Training is no longer issuing checks. You have a choice of Direct Deposit or the Electronic Payment Card (EPC).
How do I get a Visa Electronic Payment Card (EPC)?
You must be eligible to receive unemployment benefits to receive
the new Visa Electronic Payment Card.
When filing your claim, you will have the option to receive
your benefits via Direct Deposit or Electronic Payment Card
(EPC). If you do not select Direct Deposit you will automatically
receive the EPC.
Your card will be sent to you in the mail in a white windowed envelope with a return address of “Rhode Island Department of Labor & Training” logo, after you are determined to be monetarily eligible to qualify for benefits.
You may use your card only after benefits have been deposited in your account and you have activated the card. Please follow instructions that will arrive with the card.
When the card is sent in the mail, what does the envelope look
order to protect you from potential card theft, your card will
arrive in a white windowed envelope that displays the
Department of Labor and Training name
and the state seal.
Can I choose Electronic Payment Card if I now have Direct Deposit?
by contacting the Unemployment Insurance Call Center at 401-243-9100.
When will benefits be deposited in my account?
- Whether you have direct deposit or the Electronic Payment Card benefits will be deposited within 24 to 48 business hours of approval by the Department of Labor & Training. Approval is based on monetary eligibility and meeting all eligibility requirements of the Unemployment Insurance laws. You should always check your balance before using the card. You may conduct balance inquiries free of charge through the convenience of Internet access at www.myaccount.chase.com OR you may call Chase Customer Service toll-free number 1-866-847-8586.
How do I activate my Electronic Payment Card (EPC)?
cannot use the EPC card until it has been activated. You should
activate your card immediately after you receive it by calling
Chase Customer Service toll-free number (1-866-847-8586) and
selecting a 4-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN), as instructed when you receive your card
in the mail. For security reasons, it is important that you
pick a PIN that only you would know. Do not share your PIN or
the card with anyone. You should never write your PIN on your
How do I use my Visa Debit Card to get cash at an ATM or Bank?
You have free transaction withdrawal at network ATMs (Chase, BankRI and Allpoint) with each deposit to your account. Please note that non-participating banks provide 2 free transactions per deposit and $1.50 thereafter. A transaction fee is charged for additional withdrawals during the same deposit period.
• You can get surcharge-free ATM cash withdrawals only at more than 40,000 Allpoint, BankRI and Chase ATMs nationwide. Look for the Allpoint logo at ATMs at CVS, Target, Hess, Mobil and Exxon gas stations, to name a few. There are 2,000 Allpoint locations in Rhode Island.
• When using your card at an ATM, insert the card and enter your 4-digit PIN. Each ATM may have their specific maximum withdrawal. If you need to withdraw above and beyond the maximum ATM withdrawal allowed, see a teller at any Visa bank.
• Press "Withdrawal" and then "Checking".
• Follow the instructions until the transaction is completed.
• Don't forget to take your cash, your Card and your receipt.
• You may use your Visa Electronic Payment Card (EPC) to perform a bank teller transaction at any Visa member bank free of charge where you can withdraw up to the entire balance in your card.One free per deposit, $5.00 thereafter.
• Visa member banks are banks that accept Visa cards and will often display the Visa logo on and around their bank branch offices.
• If you are unsure if your bank is a Visa member bank, simply ask the teller.
• 95% of banks in Rhode Island are Visa member banks, and you can perform your free transaction at any of these banks' teller windows.
• When using your card at the bank teller window, present your card and tell the cashier the amount of cash you wish to receive. You may be asked to show identification and sign a receipt..
How do I use my Visa Electronic Payment Card to make purchases?
Simply present your card when paying.
The money is automatically deducted from your account.
You may also ask for cash back with your purchase at
many merchant locations.
Please note: When you are using the Electronic Payment Card
at a Point-of-Sale (POS) machine and if you select "credit" and sign for the transaction. If you select "debit" and enter your 4 digit PIN you will not be charged for the transaction.
Where can I use my Visa Electronic Payment Card to make purchases?
can use your Visa Electronic Payment Card anywhere you see the
Visa Logo displayed.
Can I use my Electronic Payment Card outside of RI or in another
- Yes, you can use the Electronic Payment Card anywhere that accepts
VISA or any ATM. Please click here to see the fee schedule.
Can I transfer the money on my Visa Electronic Payment Card
to my personal checking or savings account?
the Electronic Payment Card (EPC) will have a new feature as of March 11, 2011.This feature will provide customers with the convenience to transfer the EPC funds to a personal checking or savings account. EPC customers will no longer have to visit an ATM or bank teller to deposit funds from their JPMorgan Chase account to another account of their choice. This feature does not charge a fee as of 6-15-11. To elect this option, cardholders may:
Access the EPC account with JPMorgan Chase via the Internet at: www.myaccount.chase.com
Click on the “Account Transfers” tab
Enter the transfer information (including the amount , account and routing numbers)
Once the customer verifies the required information, a confirmation page will be displayed
The transferred funds are usually available in the designated account within 24 to 48 business hours.
In the unlikely event that a transfer cannot be completed, customers are to contact JPMorgan Chase by calling 1-866-847-8586.
Will I be able to add other funds to my card, in addition to
what the Unemployment Insurance puts on it?
Only the state can deposit funds to the card.
How much money can I withdraw from an ATM?
may withdraw up to the balance available in your Electronic
Payment Card account or the maximum amount allowed by the ATM, each ATM may vary the maximum allowed.
Will the total credits of my claim be on my card when I receive
just weekly payments authorized by the RI Department of Labor
and Training will be added to your Electronic Payment Card.
What if my Electronic Payment Card doesn't work?
your card doesn't work, please make sure that you have money
left on the card. If you card is denied because of insufficient
funds you will be charged a fee (1 free per deposit, $0.25 therafter). The ATM may be out of service
or may not be on the network that accepts the card. Reminder:
You may use your card surcharge-free at all Allpoint, BankRI and Chase ATMs.
What should I do with the card after the money is gone?
it. We'll use it to pay you the next time you draw unemployment
benefits. When the card is sent to you it will have an expiration
date five years from date of issue. Should you need to file
another claim for unemployment benefits during this time this
same card will be used.
What is an ATM denial?
- An ATM denial occurs when you try to withdraw more money than you have available in your account. It is important to keep track of your balance. You may check your balance by;
• Going to the website at www.myaccount.chase.com, which is free of charge… OR
• Calling Chase Bank Customer Service at 1-866-847-8586 and using the Interactive Voice Response system is free of charge; if you select to speak with a Chase customer service representative, it is also free of charge.
How do I perform a balance inquiry?
- You may conduct balance inquiries free of charge through the convenience of Internet access to your account information at www.myaccount.chase.com OR
You can call Chase Customer Service at 1-866-847-8586
You may check your ATM balance at Allpoint, BankRI and Chase ATMs for no fee.
What is an ATM surcharge?
surcharge is a fee charged by the bank or entity that owns the
ATM. This fee is not charged by Allpoint, BankRI and Chase ATMs. A surcharge fee is in addition to possible
transaction fees you may be charged. To avoid this fee, make
all of your withdrawals from surcharge-free ATMs (i.e. Allpoint, BankRI and Chase).
What is the difference between a transaction fee and a surcharge
- A transaction fee is a cost you may incur when using the card at non-member banks. You can make two free ATM cash withdrawal for each benefit
deposit at non-member banks.
A surcharge is an additional fee that may be charged
by the owner of an ATM. You will never have to pay a surcharge
if you use an Allpoint, BankRI or Chase ATM. Click here to find a list of Electronic
Payment Card Service Fees.
How do I know if my ATM is charging me a surcharge?
all of the ATM messages carefully. You will not be charged a
surcharge unless you agree to it. You may cancel any transaction
to avoid incurring the surcharge fee. Press "Enter"
to accept the surcharge fee and continue with your transaction.
Please Note: Allpoint, BankRI and Chase
ATMs will never charge a surcharge. ATMs at these locations will still
ask you to agree to pay a surcharge, but you will not incur
this fee. You must agree to accept the surcharge in order to
complete your transaction, but the surcharge will not be subtracted
from your account balance.
I went to a surcharge-free ATM and it still said that I had
to pay a surcharge. Why?
- Allpoint, BankRI and Chase ATM surcharge message
will appear even though they are surcharge-free. Accept the
surcharge if you want to make the transaction. Accept the surcharge if you want to make the transaction. You WILL NOT be charged the surcharge amount as long as you're using a surcharge-free ATM.
How do I avoid paying fees?
know your balance so that you will not be charged an ATM denial
Use your participating bank ATMs or any Visa Member bank teller window.
Avoid using ATMs that are not participating in the program.
At Point-of-Sale (POS) transaction ask for "credit" or “debit” which are free of charge to you.
What do I do if I'm charged an unexpected transaction fee?
Chase Customer Service at 1-866-847-8586 and they will help
you figure it out. If you are charged a fee that you shouldn't
be charged, you will be reimbursed.
What should I do if I forget my PIN?
the Chase Customer Service number on the back of your card 1-866-847-8586.
What if I enter the wrong PIN?
you are having trouble remembering your PIN, DO NOT try to guess
your PIN when entering it on a POS terminal or ATM. When you
enter the wrong PIN, you have two more changes to enter the
correct number. If the correct PIN is not entered by the third
try, you must wait until after midnight to try again. Call Chase
Customer Service 1-866-847-8586 if you are having problems with
What happens if the Visa Electronic Payment card is lost or
the toll-free Chase Customer Service Center, 1-866-847-8586,
to report a lost or stolen card. A new card will be issued and
any remaining balance will be transferred to the new card.
What should I do if I'm expecting a card in the mail and don't
Chase Customer Service at 1-866-847-8586 and let them know that
you have not received your card. Make sure your mailing address
is accurate. Look at your junk mail and make sure it's not in
that pile. In order to protect you from potential card theft,
your card will arrive in a white windowed envelope that displays the RI Department of Labor and Training name and state logo.
How do I get my name or address changed on this account?
the Unemployment Insurance (UI) Call Center at 401-243-9100
to change the name or address on the account.
Can someone other than the person whose name is on it use the
security reasons, you should never share your PIN or allow anyone
else to use your card.
Can I request a second card for another individual such as a
Only the person approved for unemployment insurance benefit
payments will receive a card.
Can I get into debt by using the Visa Electronic Payment Card?
card is a prepaid Visa Electronic Payment Card, not a credit
Can I use the card to build a credit history?
The card does not help establish credit history as no credit
check is required to receive the card, and it is not tied to
a bank account or a credit line.
Will use of the Visa Electronic Payment Card hurt my credit
Your card will be a prepaid Visa Electronic Payment Card not
a credit card. Use of the Visa Electronic Payment Card will
have no effect on your credit rating.
Will I earn interest on the funds in my Visa Electronic Payment
The account does not earn interest.
Can the State view or track my transactions?
For privacy reasons, only the cardholder will have access
to this information.
Do I still have to call TeleServe each week?
as long as you are unemployed you must contact the TeleServe
payment line (401-243-9600) every week.
What if I miss calling TeleServe to request a weekly payment?
must call the RI Department of Labor and Training Call Center
Whom do I contact if I have questions?
regarding the Electronic Payment Card are to be directed to
Chase Customer Service at 1-866-847-8586. Questions regarding
Unemployment Insurance are to be directed to the Unemployment
Insurance Call Center at 401-243-9100.
When is the toll-free Chase Customer Service line available?
call center is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
DISCLAIMER: FAQ's are presented for informational purposes only. They do not carry the full
force and effect of the law.
> Go back to Frequently Asked Questions Topics