Unemployment Insurance, RI Dept. of Labor and Training
  • DLT
  • Labor Market Information
  • Temporary Disability
  • Unemployment Insurance
  • Workers' Compensation
  • Workforce Development
  • Workforce Regulation and Safety
DLT homeEqual OpportunityOnline NewsroomSitemapRules and RegsPublicationsFormsDirectionsContact DLT
LMI HomeData CenterLMI for JobseekersLMI for BusinessLMI PublicationsWagesLicensed OccupationsLMI News ReleasesFAQsContact LMI
TDI homeFile a TDI ClaimElectronic Payment CardQualified Healthcare ProvidersTDI for employersTDI FormsTDI FAQsContact TDI
UI homeFile a UI ClaimAccess AccountTeleserveElectronic Payment CardsUI for EmployersExtended BenefitsUI FAQsContact UI
WC HomeEducationDonley CenterInjured WorkerEmployerInsurer/AdjusterIndependent ContractorFormsFAQ'sContact WC
WFDS HomenetWORKriBusiness ServicesGovernor's Workforce BoardWorkforce Investment OfficeTradeYouthVeteransContact WFDS
WRS HomeProfessional RegulationApprenticeshipPrevailing WageLabor StandardsOccupational SafetyPublications and FormsContact WRS

For Claimants:

File a Claim
Status Updates
Set up a PIN
Direct Deposit
Appeal a Decision
Overpayment Info
Returning to Work
Request a 1099
School Employees/Educators
Military Benefits
Report Fraud
Trade Adjustment Act
Board of Review
Frequent Questions


Free Tax Help - Do you Qualify?


Click here to download your 1099 Tax Form

If your earned income is below $54,885 you may qualify for the “Earned Income Tax Credit” (EITC) on your Federal Income Tax Return, which might reduce your taxes and increase your tax refund. For 2018 your earned income and adjusted gross income (AGI) must each be less than:

  • $49,194 ($54,884 if married filing jointly) with three or more qualifying children
  • $45,802 ($51,492 if married filing jointly) with two qualifying children
  • $40,320 ($46,010 if married filing jointly) with one qualifying child
  • $15,270 ($20,950 if married filing jointly) with no qualifying children

If you qualify you could receive a refundable tax credit on your 2017 return up to:

  • $6,431 with three or more qualifying children
  • $5,716 with two qualifying children
  • $3,461 with one qualifying child
  • $519 with no qualifying children

The IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs offer free tax help for taxpayers who qualify.  Please visit https://irs.treasury.gov/freetaxprep/to find a provider near you.

If your income is $66,000 or less you can use United Way Sponsored free tax prep software at WWW.MYFREETAXES.COM.

If your income is $54,000 or less you may call the United Way hotline by dialing 211 or call AARP Tax Aide at 1-888-687-2277 to locate an IRS Certified VITA/TCE Volunteers to prepare and file your return for you. 
Visit WWW.IRS.GOV for more information.

More information from the IRS:

IRS tool to assist with Health Care Tax updates:

The Interactive Tax Assistant site is a helpful Q&A available on IRS.gov website launched online Affordable Care Act tools for taxpayers to help determine:

Go to the IRS website www.irs.gov and type in “ITA” select the “Interactive Tax Assistant (ITA)” then select “Topics by Category” and then choose your topic and answer the questions to get the determinations.

AARP Tax Aide is offering free tax return preparation to people 50 & older and people with a disability. To locate a site near you call AARP Tax Aide at 1-888-687-2277 (Toll-free TTY: 1-877-434-7598) and ask for a Tax-Aide site near you or visit the AARP website.


RI Department of Labor and Training
Center General Complex
1511 Pontiac Avenue, Cranston, RI 02920

Phone: (401) 462-8000
Fax (401) 462-8666
TTY via RI Relay: 711
1/8/19 MDF
State Seal
  DLT is an equal opportunity employer/program - auxiliary aids and services available upon request