The following questions will be asked when you file a new claim for Unemployment Insurance benefits, whether you file online or over the phone. Please have this information ready when you begin the process.
Disclaimer: This is a sample listing of questions you may be asked when filing an initial claim for unemployment benefits. Depending on your individual situation, you may be asked for more or less information than is shown here.
|Information about yourself; be prepared to provide the following:
- Street address
- Mailing address (if different from street address)
- State of residence, including zip code
- State you worked in most recently (if different)
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Date of birth
- Social Security number
- Driver’s license number or state-issued identification number
|Dependent information; be prepared to list the following:
- Number of dependent children under the age of 18; and/or number of children over the age of 18 with disabilities and incapable of earning wages
- Name, relationship, date of birth, age, Social Security number, and disability (if applicable) for each child listed
- Be prepared to answer the following questions regarding your children:
- Do you personally provide for the support of these children?
- Does anyone else contribute to the support of these children? If yes, be prepared to give name, address and SSN of other person.
- Do all of the above children live with you? If no, be prepared to child/children's address.
- Do you have legal custody and physical possession of all the children listed above? If no, be prepared to give name, address and SSN of other person involved.
- Is your spouse, or any other person claiming these children, on an Unemployment Claim?
|Employment History; be prepared to answer the following questions:
- Are you currently employed? If so, how? (full-time, part-time, per diem)
- Have you worked in RI in the last 18 months?
- Have you worked in more than one state during the past 18 months
Be prepared to list the following information for all employers during the past 18 months, in order from most to least recent:
- Name of employer
- Employer address
- Employer city, state and zip code
- Employer phone
- Job title
- Months experience on this job
- Job duties (list all)
- Date you started work
- Was work performed in Rhode Island?
- Last day and date you worked
- Actual days you worked during your last week of work
- Reason for unemployment
- Are you unemployed due to bonafide company vacation shutdown?
- Do you have a Definite Return to Work Date?
- Do you expect to return to work with this employer?
- Are you a member of a Hiring Hall Trade Union? If yes, provide local trade name and number.
- Pay amount
- Pay unit (hourly, weekly, or annually)
- Do you have at least eight weeks of work with earnings of at least $148/wk with this employer?
- As of your last day of work, were you entitled to or did you receive bonus, commission, vacation, or sick pay?
- Did you receive severance pay?
|Related employment information; be prepared to answer the following questions:
- Are you a US citizen?
- Are you a migrant worker? If so, are you head of household?
- In your present or most recent employment, have you been self-employed? If yes, be prepared to answer questions about this position.
- In your present or most recent employment, have you been a corporate officer? (President, Vice-President, CEO, CFO, etc.) If yes, be prepared to answer questions about this position.
- In your present or most recent employment, were you employed as a professional athlete or did you work in a professional sports organization? If yes, be prepared to answer questions about this position.
- In the most recent academic year/term have you been employed by a school or educational institution? If yes, be prepared to answer questions about this position.
- Have you been employed by the federal government as a civilian during the last two years? If yes, give specifics regarding this employment.
- Are you a state government employee laid off due to a reduction in the state workforce?
- Have you performed active military service in the past two years? If yes, be prepared to answer requested information regarding your service.
- Are you a veteran? If yes, please provide beginning and ending dates of service.
|Related financial information; be prepared to answer the following questions:
- Are you currently receiving unemployment benefits from another state?
- Have you applied for or received Unemployment Benefits in the last 12 months? If yes, provide the state and timeframe in which you collected.
- Have you applied for or received Temporary Disability Insurance in the last two years?
- Have you applied for or received other disability payments in the last two years?
- Are you now or during the next year will you be collecting Social Security?
- Are you now or during the next year, will you be collecting a retirement pension?
- Are you now or during the next year will you be collecting an annuity?
- Are you or anyone in your household receiving public assistance?
- Are you or anyone in your household participating in a DHS Work Program?
- Are you or anyone in your household receiving food stamps (SNAP assistance)?
- Have you applied for or received Workers' Compensation in the last two years? If yes, please list the following:
- Date of injury
- Name of Workers’ Compensation insurance company
- Workers' Compensation insurance company telephone number
- Workers' Compensation insurance company agent name
- Workers' Compensation claim number
- If yes, please also answer the following:
- Did you receive weekly Workers' Compensation?
- Are you still collecting?
- Did you receive a lump sum settlement?
- Did you request reinstatement to your position?
|Education information; be prepared to answer the following questions:
- What is the highest grade you have completed? (high school, associate's degree, bachelor's degree, etc.)
- Do you have a Post-Secondary Certificate (Post-Secondary is a course after high school for which you received a certificate or license, such as Certified Nursing Assistant/CNA, Hairdresser License, Electrician License, etc)? If yes, list the certificate.
- Are you currently attending school? If yes, please provide:
- name of school
- name of degree or certificate program
- school start date
- class schedule
- anticipated date of graduation
- While in school, are you looking for work?
|Processing information; be prepared to answer the following questions:
- Please indicate if you would like Income Taxes withheld from your Unemployment Insurance benefits (Both State and Federal , Federal Only, State Only or No Tax Withheld)
- Please select either the electronic payment card or direct deposit payment option.
- If you select Direct Deposit, be prepared to provide bank name, route number and account number
Click here to download the Guide to Filing an Unemployment Insurance
To file a UI claim online visit https://uiclaims.ri.gov/RI-ICS/Intro/Index.aspx?AC=yes
To file a UI claim over the telephone, call (401) 243-9100.