Unemployment Insurance, RI Dept. of Labor and Training
  • DLT
  • Labor Market Information
  • Temporary Disability
  • Unemployment Insurance
  • Workers' Compensation
  • Workforce Development
  • Workforce Regulation and Safety
DLT homeEqual OpportunityOnline NewsroomSitemapRules and RegsPublicationsFormsDirectionsContact DLT
LMI HomeData CenterLMI for JobseekersLMI for BusinessLMI PublicationsWagesLicensed OccupationsLMI News ReleasesFAQsContact LMI
TDI homeFile a TDI ClaimElectronic Payment CardQualified Healthcare ProvidersTDI for employersTDI FormsTDI FAQsContact TDI
UI homeFile a UI ClaimAccess AccountTeleserveElectronic Payment CardsUI for EmployersExtended BenefitsUI FAQsContact UI
WC HomeEducationDonley CenterInjured WorkerEmployerInsurer/AdjusterIndependent ContractorFormsFAQ'sContact WC
WFDS HomenetWORKriBusiness ServicesGovernor's Workforce BoardWorkforce Investment OfficeTradeYouthVeteransContact WFDS
WRS HomeProfessional RegulationApprenticeshipPrevailing WageLabor StandardsOccupational SafetyPublications and FormsContact WRS

For Claimants:

File a Claim
Status Updates
Set up a PIN
Direct Deposit
Appeal a Decision
Overpayment Info
Returning to Work
Request a 1099
School Employees/Educators
Military Benefits
Report Fraud
Trade Adjustment Act
Board of Review
Frequent Questions

Newport State of Emergency Claims

for workers and employers impacted by the gas outage


Unemployment benefits may be available for employees impacted by the Newport County gas outage. To avoid jeopardizing or delaying your first payment, file a claim as soon as you become unemployed.

Tips to Filing

  • Click here to file your claim online - this is the fastest and easiest way to apply. Or, call (401) 243-9100.
  • Be sure to indicate that you’re unemployed because of the Newport State of Emergency.  If filing by internet, you will be asked if your unemployment is due to the Newport State of Emergency.  Indicate “yes” if this applies to you.  If filing by telephone, be sure to inform the claims representative you speak to that you are filing as a result of the Newport State of Emergency.


Frequently Asked Questions

What information will I need to file a UI claim?
You will need to provide your name, social security number and the full name, address and telephone number of all employers you have worked for in the last two years. If you are not a United States citizen, you must provide your alien registration number. You will also need to know the last date you actually worked, in addition to other information. 
Click here for a quick guide to filing a claim.

How do I certify for weekly benefits?
Once you have filed your claim, you must certify for a payment every week you are unemployed or under-employed and must meet the eligibility requirements.

IF YOU WORK PART OF A WEEK: You must report all gross wages including tips, bonus, commission, etc., earned for any week in which you claim benefits. If you worked less than full time and your gross wages including tips, bonus, commission, etc., are less than your weekly benefit rate, you should qualify for a partial benefit payment as well as a partial earnings incentive. You must request/certify for benefits weekly while your claim is in pending status. If you are allowed benefits your payments will be released by a claims representative and transferred into the payment method you chose when you filed your claim. If you are denied benefits and plan to appeal the decision, you must continue to request/certify for benefits weekly or you may not be entitled to those benefits.

There are 2 options to certify for weekly unemployment benefits:

1. Certify online or
2. Call TeleServe automated payment system at (401) 243-9600.

Click here to visit the TeleServe webpage

When will I receive my first payment?
Your claim will be paid when we have received and processed the necessary documentation.

How much will I receive?
The minimum amount is $53 per week and the maximum is $576 per week; you may also qualify for dependency allowances.

Can I collect UI benefits if I'm receiving pensions or owe child support?
Any private pension that you receive from a base period employer may be deducted from your benefit rate. If you owe child support payments, a deduction may be made from your benefit check and sent to the Office of Child Support Services.



Click here for more Frequently Asked Questions about Unemployment Insurance


If your business was impacted by the state of emergency, you may be eligible for relief of benefit charges for this period of unemployment.

If you have not spoken to the unemployment office regarding your benefit charges, please complete and return the form below by fax to (401) 462-8413. If you already received a call from the unemployment office regarding your benefit charge relief, you do not need to complete and return this form.

Employer Application for Relief of Benefit Charges due to State of Emergency (pdf)




RI Department of Labor and Training
Center General Complex
1511 Pontiac Avenue, Cranston, RI 02920

Phone: (401) 462-8000
Fax (401) 462-8666
TTY via RI Relay: 711
1/30/19 MDF
State Seal
  DLT is an equal opportunity employer/program - auxiliary aids and services available upon request